Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Digicert Intermediate Cert Eclipsed by Root - ActiveSync issues

We recently ran into an issue where using a new Digicert certificate essentially broke activesync for most people in the company. The issue is that the new root certificate for Digicert isn't compatible with older browsers and devices (they don't come standard with the new root certs for Digicert like they might with Verisign and others). The primary phone of the organization was a Motorola Q, which made the issue quite visible.

The problem boiled down to this root cert taking precedence over the intermediate cert (Digicert calls it eclipsing which I suppose is a more valid term), which would have worked fine. After the Digicert Root Cert was removed, the issue was resolved.

Note: Be sure that the intermediate is in place and functioning or else you will break all of the modern phones and browsers as well.

Also as an alternative fix, you could install the root cert on the phones in question. This is more labor intensive, but might be viable if there are only a few old straggler phones floating around.


You can also run a good test for this and other issues at:

KB968389 LSASS Reboots

Recently we had an issue with an Exchange server constantly rebooting. The symptoms were extremely indicative of virus infection. Terminations of LSASS.exe, timed reboots, and permission revocations, were all occurring, and so we were immediately assuming Sasser/Blaster.

It then began to seemingly cause issues with domain communication. Upon checking the system properties, the domain registered as *Unknown* and it was nearly impossible to perform any action as all permissions had been stripped (we were using a domain account so this sort of made sense).

After having a local tech bounce the box and login with the KVM, the issue seemed resolved for these domain level issues, and we never saw them again. The original LSASS issues and reboots continued, however. Not wanting to waste any more time, we gave PSS a call. They informed us that a patch we had installed, KB968389, was likely causing the issue. Despite passing our patch testing and being installed on numerous other environments, MS told us that they have been informed of other sites experiencing the same issue. Removing the patch resolved the issue.

In summary.. KB968389 = Bad if you like a stable environment